Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Siena – Scenic streets

Siena isn’t as pretty as Orvieto nor are the sights as spectacular as Rome, but I liked it very much. If feels like a real place where people live a very good life that has not been overtaken by tourists The streets are old, narrow and steep and cars and pedestrians compete for space as they have in every Italian city I’ve visited. I was also taken by the civic pride apparently devoted neighborhood in which one lives (there are 17). There were flags and little statues and coats of arm everywhere identifying which one I was in. One night I walked past one area that was having some sort of festival with huge BBQs, hundreds of pennants and flags, and lots of singing and drinking. The Italians sure now how to enjoy life! I also had the best gelato of the trip in Siena.


No comments:

Post a Comment