Sunday, May 22, 2011

Civita di Bagnioregio



There are two separate towns - - the newer, now larger, town of Bagnioregio with stores, cars and so on and the original center high atop a cliff accessible only by a long, narrow, steep bridge-like path that winds up the hill. The population has apparently dwindled to only 8 full-time residents, although people from elsewhere are buying and remodeling the stone homes as weekend retreats. We arrived as an afternoon thunderstorm was building giving dramatic views across the countryside. After I caught my breath from the climb up, I wandered around a bit, took a few pictures and had a sampling of bruschetta toasted over coals on a metal rack in a wonderful stone fireplace. As always there was wine, but I decided I needed to be fully sober to retrace my steps. We returned to Orvieto and I enjoyed my last night in the very nice Hotel Grande Italia.

No comments:

Post a Comment