Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Padua – Capella degli Scrovegni

The frescos in the starkly simple chapel of the Scrovegni family painted by Giotto were well worth the process we had to go through - - bags confiscated, 15 minutes in a room to be dehumidified, and only 15 minutes in the chapel itself. I wish I had had some quiet time by myself to really enjoy them and been able to take photos (strictly forbidden and seriously enforced). The chapel was built by the son of the Scrovegni family to aid his father (and himself?) to make it into heaven. They were both money lenders and frightened by the visions of hell awaiting them depicted in Dante’s Divine Comedy (I believe that Giotto and Dante were contemporaries and friends). I took a photo of a Romanesque statue in the garden who looked just like a worker-gal with her “hard hat” and background of construction fencing.


No comments:

Post a Comment