Sunday, May 8, 2011

Rome - Trevi Fountain and Gelato

So far, so good. I dumped my stuff in the room and immediately set off to see the city on a get on/get off tour bus. I thought I would take one loop around, see the major sites and decide what I would do the next day. Half-way however, jet lag reared its ugly head, so I got off with two lovely women from North Ireland (Rosemary and Gillian) to have afternoon tea with them. I also had my first gelato of the trip (chocolate and hazelnut). Wonderful!
Sufficiently revived by tea and sugar, we walked around the Via Veneto area and saw some of the sites (Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps). I found the bus again and made my way back to the hotel.
I met up with Peggy and her granddaughter Sasha that evening - - they are staying at the same hotel (Atlantico) as I am. Rome is located in the Lazio region of Italy, in the middle of the country near the Tyrrhenian Sea. All of the historical downtown area of Rome and the Vatican are one large UNESCO World Heritage site.

No comments:

Post a Comment