Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rome to Orvieto

On my last day in Rome, I did some more wandering around, visited a service in yet another gorgeous church (I say visited because I neither participated in the mass nor stayed through the whole thing) and then caught a train to Orvieto where I will be taking a class for the next week.
The trip to Orvieto was easy and pretty. When I arrived, I took the funicularo up the "rock" as I'd been told to. However, it was during the extended Italian lunch hour so no cabs or busses. I walked the mile or so to the convent up the main corso. What a pretty town Orvieto is! Everything blends because all of the buildings are made from the same tuff rock mined from the rock beneath. And, the medieval church is amazing. How did they build something so huge on top of this rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment